Here is a beef vegan taco recipe and boy is it a whopper! Make it with some rice and throw in some refried beans if you want.
Vegan Taco Recipe – Beef
By Mike Lee,
Feb 15, 2014
The best vegan tacos ever!
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook time:15 minutes
Yield: 8 Tacos
213 calories, 10 grams fat
For the Mexican plant based beef:
– 2 cups vegan beef substitute
– 1 tomato diced
– 2 tbs cilantro, minced
– 1/4 onion, minced
– 1 tbs garlic powder/span>
– 1 tbs oregano
– 2 tbs New Mexico chili powder (or equivalent)
– salt to taste
For the Rest:
– 8 taco shells or corn tortillas
– 1 cup Daiya vegan cheese (or equivalent)
– 2 cups lettuce, chopped
– 2 tomatoes, diced
– 1/4 onion, diced
– 1 cup green or red salsa
– 1 cup vegan sour cream
– 2-3 limes, cut in half, ready to be squuezed
– olive oil for frying
- Prepare the lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro and onions.
- Get the tortillas ready
- Get everything situated and ready to eat like there is no tomorrow.
Mexican plant based beef
- Add a bit of olive oil into a pan
- Add your meat replacement, whether it be a store bought brand or homemade.
- Add all the Mexican meat ingredients to the meat replacement and mix it up.
- Heat it on a medium-high heat until ready to eat, usually about 10 minutes.
- Prepare your vegan cheese to be devoured, if it is Daiya®, you can heat it if you like.
- Now you are ready to go!
- Add the ingredients to the tortillas/shells to your taste and splash some lime on it.
Adapted from Mexican Vegan Food For Chowhounds.
Vegan Taco Recipe – Beef: Extras
There are many kinds of vegan meat you can use for this vegan taco recipe and it can be a bit overwhelming if you are just starting out. So here is a list of options. Personally my favorite store bought, ready to eat, vegan beef is either the Gardein version or Lightlife.
I mentioned Daiya in the recipe because they make the best cheese in the states. You can always make your own cashew cheese or use your favorite brand. Vegusto is hands down the best vegan cheese I have ever eaten, but unfortunately it is only sold in Europe. Well, I live in California, so I eat Daiya, which is still awesome.
This vegan taco recipe calls for cilantro, which is really an amazing plant. It is super tasty and actually has chelation abilities, meaning it can help remove some toxic metals from your blood.
This is a really easy to make recipe and the only advice I have is to make these tacos for your omnivore friends!
“Oh man, Rodger, I thought you were a vegan?” “I am!” Right then you slam down the Vegan Book of the Dead, an ancient vegan text who archaeologists believe originated in the land of Vega, and scream at the top of your lungs, “You just ate VEGAN tacos!” “Rodger, I need the vegan taco recipe that you used! I am immediately converting to being vegan and shaving my head!” Thats when you send him a link to this recipe, convince him that shaving his head is a bad idea and finish watching your football team lose in a depressing manner, like they have done, year after year.