This recipe for vegan eggs will be egg-cellent for breakfast … eh, I’m so sorry, that was lame.
Vegan Eggs –
by Mike Lee
February 27, 2014.
This a simple way to make delicious, vegan eggs.
Prep Time: 05 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
Nutrition facts: 150 Calories
2 packets of extra firm tofu
1 teaspoon black salt (aka Indian salt or kala namak), flavored to taste
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
- In a pan, add a bit of olive oil and add tofu. It is really important to use extra firm tofu, anything less crumbles and can turn into to a disastrous slop.
- Cut the blocks into three slices each and heat them up. Do not mash up the tofu just yet, they might still turn into mush even with extra firm tofu, just let them crumble on their own.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients on to the slices.
- Heat until warm on medium heat, breaking of pieces until it is the desired consistency.
- If the tofu has not crumbled, then mash when you feel it it warm enough. It usually takes 5-6 minutes.
Vegan Eggs Notes
The black salt is the key to this vegan eggs recipe. It has a very noticeable sulfuric taste and smell that is reminiscent of eggs. You can find this salt at most ethnic indian markets. It looks almost pink, so clearly the name is spot on. Ask for Indian salt or Kala Namak. You can experiment with how much to add. I suggest starting out with very little. It is very strong and you can easily spoil your vegan eggs.
To elaborate on the texture of the tofu, just remember that you should be using the extra firm tofu. I usually purchase the Mori Nu tofu. When you are heating it up don’t break it all up in your excitement for vegan scrambled eggs. It will turn to mush and you will cry, well, I did anyway. Try to add the spices on to the blocks of tofu, and warm them up as much as you can before you start to scramble them.
In the picture I added some Chipotle Seitan, mmm. I’ll include a recipe for that in the future. You can use some vegan chorizo if you want to add some zest into your breakfast life!
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy your scrambled vegan eggs!